Saturday, July 21, 2018
GOOGLE AD
Become a supporter.
Get involved, now.
Photo Credit To Loop Haiti

Haitian on Hunger Strike Rushed to Hospital from White House

Samuel Maxime

Editor-in-Chief

Theova Milfort

WASHINGTON, D.C. (sentinel.ht) – A Haitian man who had been holding a hunger strike in front of the White House collapsed on Sunday night and was rushed to the hospital.

Theova MIlfort
Theova Milfort stands in front of the White House with a sign.

48-year old, Theova Milfort of South Florida had to involuntarily suspend his hunger strike after 7 days without eating, only drinking water, and not sleeping, as his protest permit did not allow him to sleep outside the White House.

At his hospital bed, a reporter from Loop Haiti said the activist’s morale appeared affected compared to days earlier. However, Milfort did proclaim that as soon as he is able, he will begin to advocate for what he believes is a cause that deserves to be heard.

His condition is out of danger, he said. When asked why he risked his life for a cause that seems lost in advance, the main person replies, “Someone has to stand up and I am that person I do it for my country.”.


Pierre Cote Interview

Milfort is protesting for President Obama to visit Haiti before his term is over. The Commander-in-Chief had just returned from his vacation on Martha Vineyard later that night. He is scheduled to visit Louisiana where days of rain had led to flooding and the displacement of 85,000 families.

Become a Patron and get Haiti Sentinel and Defend Haiti merchandise.

About The Author

Samuel Maxime is a Haitian-born citizen living in the United States. He founded The Haiti Sentinel to bring Haitian issues to an English language audience.