PORT-AU-PRINCE, Ouest, HT (sentinel.ht) – Having information that insurgents would attack the nation’s schools, buildings and commercial centers, the Ministry of Justice announced a suspension on all weapons permits throughout the country until further notice. This measure came as partisans and allies of former President Michel Martelly have sworn for a nationwide mobilization to overthrow provisional President, Jocelerme Privert.
The decision went effective at June 9, 2016 and affects all citizens except for the Haitian National Police and United Nations peacekeepers. Border level controls are strengthened, the national police is on alert.
“Attacks are planned in high places to burn petrol stations, public schools and ministries,” the Minister of Justice and Public Safety, Camille Edouard Jr. said in an interview with Le Nouvelliste. “We take this information very seriously,” said Mr. Edouard Camille Junior. The government has all this information, but currently no arrests have been made.
In a statement released Friday, June 10 we read: “The Ministry of Justice and Public Security door to public knowledge in general and the parties concerned, in particular, that according to police the Higher Council provisions national (NUMC), dated June 9, 2016, all gun licenses are suspended temporarily, on all the territory. ”
Formal instructions have been passed to law enforcement, to the strict application and this measure the government said renew its determination to fight “vigorously” against all forms of crime.
“Following various information circulating on arms trafficking intensely, it was decided to strengthen the enforcement measures to prohibit the circulation of weapons in the territory,” argued the minister, who announced that national police already have a safety plan.
Besides the specter of a commando attack on the police station in Les Cayes last month, “we are dealing with a criminal organization of high-level strategy often change,” said Minister of Justice and Public security. “The safety of the population is a priority for the government. The state is standing, bandits will not because of the people who can trust the authorities and the national police, “he assured.
Earlier this week, the government condemned “with the utmost rigor vandalism, armed attack, fire and attempted arson perpetrated everywhere across the capital on the night of Tuesday at 7 Wednesday, June 8, 2016, specifically targeting public buildings and private installations, including gas stations, by intruders. ”
The minister was not able to tell if it is in serious crime or if there are political hands behind this. “We can not say that there is a political hand. Anyway, we take appropriate measures to ensure the security of the population,” he said.