Sunday, April 30, 2017

Guy Philippe denies involvement in Les Cayes attack

Profile photo of Samuel Maxime

Samuel Maxime

Editor-in-Chief

JEREMIE, Haiti (sentinel.ht) – On Tuesday, Guy Philippe, the candidate for senate and 2004 coup leader, walked back comments he made in the press about entering into rebellion and overthrowing Provisional President Jocelerme Privert. Philippe went on two right-leaning radio stations and speaking in the third person, denied his involvement in the attack on the police department in Aux Cayes, Monday, May 16, 2016.

Philippe said that when he swore to enter into rebellion against the Privert administration after May 14 if he did not resign, he did not mean to say “armed rebellion”. Philippe said he intended to use all “legal” forms available to him to overthrow the administration. For Philippe, Privert is a “former president”, he said.

If Guy Philippe, who has been said to be a U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) informant and is an indicted drug-trafficker on the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) wanted fugitive list, denied the allegations, his comrade, the presumptive Mayor of Les Cayes, Gabriel Fortune, has not.

Fortune, a former senator who was appointed South Departmental Delegate by former President Michel Martelly, said he supports anyone attacking and seizing arms from the Haitian National Police (PNH) with the aims of overthrowing Privert. Fortune also said in this, a separate interview, that he “hangs out” with Guy Philippe regularly.

Become a Patron and get Haiti Sentinel and Defend Haiti merchandise.

About The Author

Profile photo of Samuel Maxime

Samuel Maxime is a Haitian-born citizen living in the United States. He founded The Haiti Sentinel to bring Haitian issues to an English language audience.

Comments

  1. […] leaving one officer dead. Former coup leader and senate candidate Guy Philippe—who had earlier threatened rebellion unless provisional President Jocelerme Privert stepped down—denied involvement in the attack but […]