PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (sentinel.ht) – Complaints by some citizens that recently built sporting stadiums do not meet international standards and do not appear to have costed upwards $13 million [US] has led to a judicial pursuit against the son of former President Michel Martelly, Olivier.
The Government Commissioner confirmed Friday that Olivier Martelly had been placed on a no-fly list in connection with the suspicions of embezzlement and formal charges already submitted by lawyers Newton Louis Saint Juste and Andre Michel since 2012.
The chief prosecutor of Port-au-Prince, Government Commissioner Danton Leger, confirmed, “Yes, I confirm”, to Le Nouvelliste on Friday, April 8, 2016, that Olivier Martelly is the subject of a prohibition against leaving Haiti so that he may be placed at the disposition of justice.
Leger said that he has documents that bring in to question, beyond previous accusations, that the son of the former president’s management of the construction of sporting fields was not clear.
President Martelly signed a decree in 2012 placing tens of millions of dollars and ultimate decision and disbursement power at the dispositions of the heads of the Committee Fighting Against Hunger and a Committee for the Coordination of Sport Infrastructure, his wife, First Lady Sophia Martelly and son, Olivier Martelly. This money was not budgeted by Parliament.
Following the expenditures of First Lady Martelly’s committee was tricky but for Olivier, citizens began crying out and questioning his project. In one instance, a sport stadium was said said to have cost $13 million [US], but appears to not be worth even $13,000 [US].
Former Minister of the Economy and Finance, Wilson Laleau, former APN Director, Alix Celestin, businessmen, Marc Antoine Acra and Fritz Mevs, among others, are also subjects of prohibition against flight for other cases.