CARSON, USA (sentinel.ht) – Andre Berto did not give Victor Ortiz a chance to regain his legs Saturday night pounding early and often towards a fourth round stoppage and victory.
Ortiz had given Andre Berto his first loss of his career in 2011’s Fight of the Year that went to a unanimous decision against him. Berto was knocked down in the second round but shrugged it off.
“Me, mentally, I was in dog mode,” Berto said. “I let him walk through it the first time … he was the guy who gave me my first loss and it’s been looming for years. This time, I’m in shape and [thought] if I have to hurt him, I will. It was the most satisfying win of my career.”
“I’m not going to let him recover from this one,” Berto said he thought to himself after dropping Ortiz earlier in the fourth round with a vicious uppercut. “That was my mistake in the first fight, knocking him down with good shots, letting him get back up. I was in great shape. I was going to catch him.”
His opponent, the former welterweight champion, took two heavy punches to the face which put him on the canvas. He struggled to get to his feet and when Referee, Jack Reiss, asked him if he wanted to continue, he was not satisfied with Ortiz’s response and called the fight over.
“I didn’t see it coming,” Ortiz said of the Berto punches that dropped him. “The guy doesn’t hit soft. I’ll be back. I haven’t had the perfect career, but I guarantee all the fans here enjoyed my fight.”
The crowd showered more boos upon Ortiz, and some of the 7,760 fans even lunged at him on his way from the ring to his dressing room, wrote LA Times writer Lance Pugmire who has been following this fight since it was set.
Andre Berto will likely get a shot at the current champion Danny Garcia who was a Fox analyst during the bout. Garcia said “it was a great fight and [Berto] is a potential matchup. It’s an easy fight to make because we both fight for Premier Boxing Champions, and it makes a lot of sense.”