PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (sentinel.ht) – The electoral council denied requests by eight presidential candidates to have an independent commission review the electoral process and results of the October 25, 2015 elections.
In a letter only signed by the President of the Provisional Electoral Council (CEP), Pierre Louis Opont, the council said the electoral decree did not provide it provisions for the establishment of an independent commission to review the results. It should be noted the electoral decree doesn’t deny that possibility, rather encourages.
The top presidential candidates, including the second placed Candidate Jude Celestin, who would be eligible for a runoff according to the November 5, 2015 results, had written in protest of the October 25, 2015 elections three times and were not responded to.
With the pressure of mobilizations across Haiti against the CEPs results, including declarations by de facto Prime Minister Evans Paul and former Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe about the need for such a solution, Pierre Louis Opont wrote the candidates to tell them he would meet with them.
After hours of meeting in Petion-Ville on Monday afternoon, that evening, in no time, Opont sent a letter to the candidates denying the request.
CEP Not of Transparency, Legality or Democracy
Pierre Louis Opont has never responded to the requests for transparency and this dates back to 2010 where he told the press in July of this year that as Director General of the 2010 CEP, he had knowledge of false results being published. Opont had promised, under pressure from Candidate Sauveur Pierre Etienne and his party to be sued for treason, that he would produce the correct results and give the nation his testimony but has since hadn’t.
In 2015, Opont is accused of a number of maneuvers, notwithstanding their legality, aimed at control the outcome of the elections. The disqualification of a plethora of candidates for arbitrary reasons, most notably the University Professor Jacky Lumarque. The poorest communities in the largest department, the West Department, were just plain kept from the Senate vote and intimidated from participating in the others.
Violence ruled the day of the August 9, 2015 legislative round and the ruling party of President Michel Martelly, PHTK, and its ally, Bouclier, led Pierre Louis Opont’s count in violence. No action was taken.
A massive fraud operation is alleged to have taken place in the October 25, 2015 elections and Pierre Louis Opont made the conditions possible. In all intents and purposes, Opont flooded the market with more than 900,000 paid votes, many multiple votes per person, that accounted for up to two thirds (2/3) of the electorate.
Arrests of partisans of parties aligned with PHTK were made on October 25 but many had been released by that afternoon unquestioned. Some were government officials and heads of voting centers. Ballots and verbal process reports have been found, recovered or destroyed out in the streets. It suggests a massive attempt to destroy evidence.
Transparency is what the Haitian people are asking for but the totalitarian regime of Michel Martelly, propped up by the Obama-Clinton foreign policy, is using all attempts to deny it, maintain power, and repress the population. More protests are scheduled to take place, how long will they remain non-violent? Not long.