PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (sentinel.ht) – The Group Assisting Refugees and the Repatriated (GARR) said Tuesday that following meetings between Haitian and Dominican officials on Sunday, “Martelly has folded” and Haitian borders returned to normal operations on Monday, October 19, 2015.
The Michel Martelly administration had not announced that the the overland ban on 23 Dominican products had been lifted but many suspected from a meeting between Martelly and Dominican President Danilo Medina a week prior had been towards those ends.
GARR says the decision to reopen trade came out of a joint contract in Dajabon at the Dominican Consulate in Haiti. There Dominican Foreign Minister Andrés Navarro and the Dominican Minister of Industry and Trade, Jose del Castillo Savinon, met with local Haitian officials, interim agents of the National Palace and diplomats. Dominican transporters and merchants also attended the meeting.
“The Dominican Republic has put Haiti on its knees. President Martelly has folded, the Haitian-Dominican border points have been open since October 19,” said GARR in an article by ActuNews7.
Dajabon/Ouanaminthe: Business returned on Monday but Haitian merchants complained of Dominican customs inspectors, immigration agents and the police, of having taken their merchandise to sell. Some claimed their products were dumped in the Slaughter river.
Jimani/Malpasse: On Friday, October 16, 2015, business was still stalled but by Monday, trade and buses had resumed using the check point. Business transactions are continuing as usual.
Belladere/Elias Pina: Although the presence of Haitian traders was low, the border was opened on Monday.
Pedernales/Anse-a-Pitres: Activities were stalled Friday and on Monday began making a recovery.