SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (sentinel.ht) – The Dominican press is reporting that President Michel Martelly will meet with Dominican President Danilo Medina on Tuesday at 11:00 am in Barahona, D.R. but in Haiti, the press is unaware of the meeting. The Martelly administration has not released any notices or said anything of a meeting with D.R..
President Medina even tweeted about the meeting via the Dominican presidency’s Twitter account, writing, “Danilo Medina and Michel Martelly will meet Tuesday in Barahona.”
The Press Secretary for the Dominican Presidency, Rodriguez Marchena, said the meeting was requested by Michel Martelly. He said it would take place at 11:00 am in Barahona and the two would be discussing issues of common interest, “lifting of the ban, among other things”.
With no information coming from the Haitian government, the delegation that will travel to D.R. is unknown. But Rodriguez Marchena did unveil that of his government.
According Marchena, President Danilo Medina will accompany the Foreign Minister, Andres Navarro, Minister of Industry and Trade, José del Castillo Saviñón, the Interior Minister, Jose Ramon Fadul, the Minister of the Presidency the Dominican Republic, Gustavo Montalvo and customs director, Fernando Fernandez.
Last week, the Dominican Ministry of External Affairs and the Department of Industry and Trade announced that on September 29, 2015, the committee for access to the World Trade Organization Procurement (WTO) is seized by authorities Dominican to arbitrate the decision of the Haitian government to regulate cross-border trade.
In Dajabon, a border town, Dominican merchants and carriers have paralyzed commercial activities along the border strip and prohibits the entry into their territories of Haitians yet in possession of their passport with visa.
The meeting is taking place while the Haitian Foreign Affairs Ministry is mourning the death of three Haitians in the Dominican Republic.
The Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the Haitian government has learned with dismay of the tragic death of three Haitian nationals, occurred Thursday, October 8 in the Dominican Republic.
The statement said that the Haitians were killed in a crash while in a bus of the Directorate General of the Dominican Migration in the city of Constanza. According to witnesses, the bus was carrying about fifty persons awaiting deportation to Haiti.
In September 2015, the Jesuit Service for Migrants, Haiti (Haiti-JSM) recorded in the four official border points between Haiti and the Dominican Republic in 2941 deported Haitian migrants. The majority of them arrived in Ouanaminthe and Malpasse.
Many Haitians migrants in D.R. were arrested in the streets or while at their place of employment. They are being made to return empty-handed, leaving their property and families. They do not have either the chance to receive their salary. Some have suggested even months salary.
Haiti-JSM denounced these repatriations which do not take into account Article 7 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Thus Haiti-JSM called he the Haitian State to ensure, through consular posts, the interests of its workers in neighboring territory.